Braised Eggplant & Tofu and French Potato-Cabbage Stew
Meal 1: Braised Eggplant with Tofu and Vegetable Fried Rice
· Heat a saute pan over high heat with some oil to just about smoking. Add the vegetables. Be careful adding the veggies to the hot oil! Larger shares should work in batches. Stir fry the vegetables until they brighten and wilt slightly. Transfer to a serving platter.
· Reheat the pan with oil and stir fry the rice. When hot and fragrant ( about two minutes), add the vegetables and toss together. Serve.
· Reheat the pan again, over medium, no oil necessary. Shake the eggplant jar thoroughly but carefully to mix the sauce very well. Turn the contents out into the pan and stir. the sauce should thicken as the veggies heat through. If the sauce sets too fast add a little bit of water to thin it slightly while the veggies and tofu heat through. Serve.
Meal 2: French Potato and Cabbage Stew, Green Lentils, Escarole and Frisee Salad
· Heat the lentils gently.
· Ditto the stew. If you like, French it up with some chunks of bacon cooked in the sauce pan first with the stew added on top and heat through incorporating the bacon into the stew. when the lardons of bacon are crisped.
· Dress the salad. Dressing it with some of the rendered fat from the above mentioned bacon (and perhaps a fried egg) is traditional.