Tex-Mex Cheese Balls and Springtime Pizzas
Meal 1: Flatbread Pizzas w. Grilled Asparagus and Wild Leeks, Spicy Greens and Bibb Lettuce Salad, Chick Peas w. Roasted Baby Turnips
· Unwrap the pizza shells and reserve the shredded cheese
· Remove the shredded wild leeks and as much of the asparagus as reasonable from the jar. It is very OK for it to mix together.Toss and dress the leek and asparagus together with a little oil, plus salt and pepper.
· Optional, brush the pizzas shell w. olive oil lightly. Remove the ricotta cheese from the jar, leaving behind any residual liquid and spread the cheese across the pizza. Top with the asparagus and leek mix. Top with the shredded cheese and bake at 425° for about 10 minutes to melt and lightly brown the cheese. Serve.
· Tear up the larger lettuce leaves and serve the salad.
· Toss, season lightly, and serve the chick peas at room temp.
Meal 2: South Western Cheese Balls, Adobo Black Beans and Sautéed Collard Greens
· Heat the beans in a sauce pan. Add a little water if necessary. A microwave is OK too.
· Turn the cheese and garnishes out into a bowl and fold together. Taste and add S & P if necessary. Form into smallish patties, like sliders, about 1/2" thick, pressing them together firmly. If they won't quite bind add a very light sprinkling of flour and try again.
· Heat a pan ( non-stick or well seasoned) with a little oil over medium heat. When hot, carefully add 2-4 of the patties and allow them to brown - 1, maybe 2 minutes. Medium to medium low is best - you don't want to scorch these, and you do want to allow them to heat through before browning too much. Flip and cook the other side. Reserve in a warm oven while you cook the others. Serve.
· Sauté the greens in hot fat. Season with salt. If you like, add a splash of stock or even water and allow them to cook down. Enjoy.