Summer Squash Latkes and Baked Ziti w. Eggplant
Meal 1: Baked Ziti with Roasted Eggplant, Chevre, and Roasted Tomato Sauce & Kale-Parmesan Salad
· Transfer the kale salad to a serving bowl and season liberally with salt. Mix vigorously with your hand, massaging the salt into the leaves and crushing the a little. Check the seasoning. Allow to stand 10 or more minutes and serve.
· Warm the ziti briefly in the microwave then transfer to a 325 oven for 10-25 minutes, depending on share size, to warm through. Heat the sauce in the microwave too and top the pasta casserole during it's last 5 minute of oven time. You can do this entirely in a microwave too, but it loses a little something.
Meal 2: Summer Squash Latkes, Kamut with Harissa, Green Beans and Almonds, Golden Beets w. Orange-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette Salad
· Heat a generous amount of vegetable ( not olive )oil in a large sauté pan.
· Transfer the contents of the latke batter jar into a work bowl. Season well with salt and stir. Taste the batter to test the salt level. You should taste a little bit of everything ( though raw ) when seasoned well. Tighten with a little flour, breadcrumbs, or other binder if the batter has become watery.
· When the oil is hot place fat golf ball sized dollops of batter into the oil. Plan about 3 latkes per share. Flatten them and fry over medium high 2-3 minutes per side to brown evenly across each side. Add oil as needed. Fry them. Don't toast them. Transfer to a paper towel to drain. Sprinkle with a small pinch of salt and serve hot. We like them with spicy yogurt.
· Heat a little olive oil over medium in a non-stick or well seasoned pan. When hot and shimmering but NOT smoking, add the kamut and garnishes. Stir and toss to combine. Allow to become hot and fragrant 1-2 minutes, and serve.
· Toss the beets with their dressing and serve chilled.