Sloppy Joe and Fried Rice
Meal 1: Sloppy Joes on Challah Rolls w. Pan Roasted Potatoes and Romaine Salad
· Heat Sloppy Joe on the stovetop or even in a microwave - work carefully in bursts in the microwave - it gets splattery.
· Slice the rolls and toast in a pan with butter, or at 325° in the oven.
· Assemble the sandwiches - we like them openface.
· Heat a little butter , oil or other fat in a sauté pan over medium high. When hot but not smoking, add the potatoes and give a shake. Allow the pieces to brown and then turn them with tongs to brown the opposite side. Continue to turn and brown the pieces as you like or serve when seasoned with salt and pepper and hot through.
· Dress the salad and serve.
Meal 2: Pork or TVP Fried Rice with Stir Fried Vegetables and Braised Tofu
· Heat a little oil in a large seasoned or non-stick pan. When smoking hot add the rice. Stir and fry, but do not toss. When hot, lightly browned, and fragrant - about 2 minutes transfer the cooked rice to a serving platter. Large shares should work in batches.
· Add more oil, reheat and cook the vegetables in a similar manner allowing them to wilt, brown lightly, and soften. Season with a little salt! Serve atop the rice.
· Turn the hot pan to medium. Shake the tofu gently but well to distribute the starches at the bottom of the jar evenly within the sauce. Add to the pan allowing it to bubble, heat, and thicken. Serve beside the rice.