Pork and Cortido Rice Bowl and Savory Apple Crepes
Meal 1: Savory Apple Crêpes, Mixed Greens and Chick Peas with Roasted Kabocha Squash
· Remove the chevre from atop the apple filling and reserve. Microwave the filling to get the chill out. Lay out the crêpes and arrange filling evenly over the lower half. Crumble the chevre over the apples. Fold the upper half to cover. It should be a half moon.
· Melt butter in a medium skillet over medium. When just browned Lay in a crêpe or two. Allow to brown, 1-2 minutes, then use a spatula to flip and brown on the other side. Cook all and serve.
· Reheat the pan, add oil or butter and sauté the chick peas with the squash. Allow to heat through and become fragrant, 3-4 minutes, season and serve.
· Dress the salad greens and their garnishes.
Meal 2: Black Rice Bowl w. Roasted Pork Molé or Adobo Black Beans, and Cortido
· Carefully transfer the pork and its sauce, or the beans to a sauce pan. Use a lid with the pork. Heat over medium and allow to simmer 3-5 minutes, stir allowing to sauce to fold into the dish and the pork to shred a bit.
· Heat some oil or other fat in a sauté pan. Add the rice and toss. Allow the rice to heat through and crisp a bit. Season and portion into serving bowls.
· Top with the pork or beans.
· Top that with the cortido and maybe some sour cream or yogurt and favorite hot sauce!
Cortido is El Salvadoran sauerkraut and if you like Latin American foods you will be asking yourself where this has been all your life. ( Well, in El Salvador I suppose, but, we love it...)