Pho and Pizza
Meal 1: Vegetable or Pork Pho
· You will need to blanch the vegetables and noodles and transfer them into serving bowls. I use a large skimmer called a spider. A medium strainer or good slotted spoon may work too. If you do not have a tool for skimming/ straining you will likely prefer to boil 2 pots of water and use a colander to drain the blanched food. Amend the following instructions accordingly.
· Bring about 2 qt salted water to a boil. Larger shares should use more.
· Bring the broth to a steady simmer in a separate pot.
· Arrange serving bowls.
· When the water boils add noodles. Cook about 30 seconds. Lift the noodles out with a skimmer or slotted spoon and drain lightly in a colander then place in the bowls.
· Return the water to a boil and add the vegetables to the water and blanch about 2 minutes to cook the cabbage through. Remove as above and add to the bowls.
· Ladle in the hot broth and serve. Season with fish sauce if you have it, otherwise salt is fine. To make it spicy we preferred adding dried pepper flake.
Meal 2: Grilled Flatbread Pizzas w. Roasted Red Onion and Brie, Mixed Greens, & Chick Pea Salad w. Preserved Lemon-Poppy Seed Vinaigrette
· Unwrap the pizza and remove the brie. Heat the pizza at 500° for about 10 minutes on a cookie sheet or pizza stone. On an oven safe cooling rack on a baking tray is best. Pull out the tray, break the brie into 4 or 5 knobs and arrange them on the pizza. Bake 5 minutes more and serve when the brie is melted and pizza is hot.
· Toss the chick peas with their dressing and garnishes and serve.
· Dress the salad and serve.