Middle Eastern Rice Bowl and Cat Island Potato Cakes
Meal 1: Chick Peas or Merguez Meatballs in Harissa Sauce w. Sultan's Rice, Sautéed Spinach and Spiced Feta Cheese
· Heat meatballs/ chick peas in their sauce gently. Bring to a simmer. Season with salt. When you have the right amount, you will taste the lemon and the warmth of the spices plus a little heat at the end. A pinch or two should do it depending on share size.
· Remove the spiced feta from the top of the rice.
· Heat a sauté pan with some butter or olive oil. When hot but not smoking, add the rice. Toss to dress. Toss again as needed and allow to heat through. Transfer to serving bowls.
· Heat a little oil in a saute pan. When hot add the collards and toss them to dress evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve bright green and wilted. Tuck into the bowls next to the rice.
· Top the rice with the meatballs/ chickpeas and sauce. Crumble the feta on top and tuck in!
Meal 2: Reggae Country Style Potato Cakes, Black Beans in Coconut Milk, Sautéed Collard Greens.
· Place the potato cakes on a cookie sheet and bake for 10-15 minutes at 350° until hot through. Test the inside with the tip of a knife to check they are hot through.
· Warm the beans.
· Heat a little butter or oil in a sauté pan. When hot add the collards and toss them to dress evenly. Season with salt and pepper. Serve bright green and wilted or add a lid and a splash of water and allow to steam for several minutes.