Latkes w. Applesauce and Brussels Sprouts Minestrone
Meal 1: Potato Latkes, Vanilla Bean Apple Sauce, Chick Peas with Golden Beets and Grapefruit Vinaigrette
· Over medium high, heat a generous pour of oil or other fat in a non-stick or well seasoned skillet.
· Turn the latke batter into a bowl. Season well with salt and pepper and mix well. Fold in a pinch or two of flour or corn meal to bind the batter if it is watery.
· Place dollops of the batter into the hot oil - carefully. Flatten them a bit and allow to fry 2-3 minutes to golden-brown. Turn and brown the other side. Transfer to a platter to drain. Serve or hold in a warm oven as you cook in batches. Video above.
· Serve the apple sauce on the hot latkes. Also good with sour cream.
· Serve the chick pea salad at room temp.
Meal 2: Minestrone w. Brussels Sprouts, Semolina-Flax Batard, Spinach Salad
· Heat the soup and allow it to simmer 2-3 minutes.
· Warm the bread.
Dress and serve the salad.