Latkes and Minestrone
Meal 1: Potato Latkes, Sautéed Blue Moon Kale, Beets in Chevre Vinaigrette
· Enjoy the video of how to cook the latkes! Analog below:
· Transfer the batter to a bowl and season with salt. Mix adding tiny pinches of flour only if necessary to make it just bind and re-adsorb any water. If the batter becomes very watery, just drain the extra water off.
· Over medium high heat a generous portion of oil in a sauté pan. One with good sides is best.
· When the oil is shimmering but not smoking add dollops of the latke batter and flatten evenly. Fry 3-4 minutes until edges are browned. Turn each latke and check to see if it is golden brown. If it is so, turn and cook the other side 2-3 minutes more. When done on both sides drain on paper towels and then serve hot.
· Manage the heat to ensure the latkes are cooking in hot oil but the oil never smokes. Add oil as needed. Be sure these are fried and not toasted.
· Sautee the kale in some butter until wilted and bright green. Season and serve.
· Toss the beets in their dressing and serve chilled.
Meal 2: Minestrone Soup, Escarole Salad, Whole-Wheat & Flax Baguette
· The soup is thick, and is fine this way. However, you may want to thin it by about a third or a quarter. If you have some stock on hand, it is great for this purpose. Water is great too of course. Adjust the seasoning with salt. Gently bring the soup to a simmer. Serve with a little parmesan cheese on top.
· Warm the bread and serve with soft butter, cheese or olive oil.
· Dress the salad.