Fattoush and Pozole
Meal 1: Fattoush: Bread Salad of Escarole and Grilled Flatbread w Kamut Salad, Roasted Chick Peas, Beets and Blue Cheese
· Arrange the greens in a large bowl. Add the beets and cheese.
· Heat a little oil in a sauté pan. Cut the flatbread into 1/8ths. Toast the pieces in the oil. Place atop the greens.
· Now re-oil the pan and when hot add the jar with the kamut, dates, chick peas etc. Sauté to heat through and brown lightly. When hot add to the salad. Dress with a little more olive oil and some good vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Toss and serve.
Meal 2: Pozole and Corn Bread
· Vegetarian: Heat the pozole to a simmer. Serve.
· Omnivore: Remove the pork from the top of the soup. ( A little messy, I know. Sorry.) Pat dry with paper towel and cut into pieces 1"x 1/2' or so - nothing fancy- treat it like soft bacon.
· Heat a sauce pan or tall sided skillet over medium. Add the pork and allow the pieces to sizzle, brown and render a bit. Stir to brown evenly. 2-4 minutes. When browned and crisped a bit, add the pozole and bring to a simmer. Serve.
· Cut the corn bread into thick slices and toast in a oven or in a pan with too much butter ( the best).