Black Rice Bowl and White Bean Ragu
Updated: Feb 26, 2020
Meal 1: Forbidden Rice Pilaf with Cochinita Pibil and/ or Adobo Black Beans & a Navel Orange Slaw
· Heat the rice mix in a saute pan with a little oil. Toss and allow to heat through. Using a lid and a very little bit of oil will speed the process. Season to taste with S and P. Transfer the rice into individual serving bowls.
· Heat the pork and or beans gradually in a microwave or in the sauté pan. Serve on top of the rice. The beans are spicy! You may want some sour cream or yogurt on the side to mellow them out. A glass of milk (or beer) works well too.
· Toss the slaw with the dressing and season with salt. Serve atop the beans/pork/ rice. Enjoy together.
Meal 2: Semolina Gnocchi with Cannellini Bean (& Roasted Pork) Ragu & Sautéed Collard Greens
· OK. If your gnocchi were well behaved they are wrapped on a board. If they were not they are already dished up and ready to go into a 400° oven for 15 -20 minutes or until they are puffed and the edges are browned. If yours are on a board, carefully open them cut them into even, bite sized squares ( or the squashes into triangles and arrange on a buttered or lined baking dish/sheet and cook as above.
· Heat the ragu gently. Serve atop or beside the gnocchi.
· Heat a little butter or olive oil. If you like add a little very thinly sliced or minced garlic. When aromatic add the greens and stir, season and allow to become bright green and wilt. Serve or you can cook longer or even add a splash of broth and braise them slightly to make them 'more tender' but I think the flavor diminishes and the color becomes more, well, fatigued. I like them bright.