Tamales and Pissladiere
Meal 1: Pissladiere w/ Melted Leeks, Brie, and Homemade Bacon, Roasted Turnips with Chick Peas and a Mixed Greens Salad
· Open the pizzas and spread out the bacon garnish over the leeks. Place in a 400° oven for about 10 minutes to heat through and crisp a bit. Serve.
· Heat a little butter or oil in a sauté pan. When hot add the turnips. Toss. Allow to get hot and become fragrant. Season with salt and allow to cook until the turnips are fully tender. 3-5 minutes.
· Dress the salad.
Meal 2: Sweet Corn Tamales, Refried Beans, Annatto Rice w. Roasted Squash and Poblano Chiles
· The tamales are easily heated in the microwave. 1-2 minutes should do it. Alternately, heat a generous quantity of butter or bacon fat in a well seasoned or nonstick pan. When hot, unwrap the tamales and place them into the hot fat allowing to fry and crisp up. 2-3 minutes per side. Turn once to fry the other side. Work in batches if necessary and serve. I don't recally why we started heating them this way but now find it irresistible.
· Warm the refried beans. Stovetop or microwave works.
· Heat a little oil or butter in a sauté pan. When hot add the rice and garnishes, Toss to heat through allowing the rice to crisp a little and serve.