Chicken and Dumplin's and Corn Fritters
Meal 1: Sweet Corn Fritters, Beet and Cucumber Salad, Spicy Napa Cabbage Cole Slaw
· Transfer the fritter batter to a mixing bowl. Season lightly with salt. Mix well with a spoon.
· Heat a generous pour of oil into a well seasoned or non stick pan. The oil should just cover the bottom. Heat over medium.
· When hot but not smoking mix up the batter again and add about 2 heaping tablespoons of batter per fritter to the pan. Flatten gently and shape into a round with the spoon. Fry 2-3 minutes and then carefully flip with a wide spatula, cook 1 minute on the opposite side. Drain on paper towels and serve.
· NOTE: You want to brown the 1st side well - that will set the fritter. You can test the fritter for being ready to flip by shaking the pan and prodding it with your spatula. The ready fritter will seem cohesive; it will move and start to lift as one piece. A fritter that needs more time will still seem loose. Be patient and do not cook them on too high a heat ( or too cold, they are kinda Goldilocks, yeah. Sorry about that...)
ALSO: The sweet corn can POP! and splatter you with oil. It's no fun so don't hover over them as they cook and maybe use a bacon splatter guard thingy if you have one. Or, just don't be too surprised when it happens.
· Serve the beets chilled. Add a little salt if desired.
· Dress the slaw with the provided dressing. Season with S and P. Serve.
Meal 2: Chicken and Dumplin's: Sweet Corn and Chicken Casserole with Mini Cornmeal Drop Biscuits and Frissee Salad
· Heat the casserole filling in the microwave to get the chill ( or heat all the way through). Transfer to a baking dish and bake at 350° until hot. Add the biscuits on top, bake 3-5 minutes more and serve.
· Dress the salad.