Vegetable Lo Mein and Beef Koftas
Meal 1: Vegetable Lo Mein and Braised Tofu with Garlic Scapes
· Remove the garlic scape(s) from the bag of noodles. Cut into 1" pieces. Reserve.
· Heat some neutral oil in a large non stick skillet. When smoking hot, carefully add the noodles. Larger shares should work in batches to keep the pan hot. Allow the noodles to brown and crisp a bit. Stir them and brown a little more. Transfer to a platter.
· Reheat and oil the pan. Again, when smoking hot add enough veggies to just cover the bottom of the pan. Stir and fry. Add a pinch of salt. Allow the vegetables to brown lightly, brighten, and soften a bit. Transfer to atop the noodles and repeat as necessary.
· Reheat the pan with a very little bit of oil. Reduce the heat to medium high. when hot but not smoking add the scapes. Stir fry as above. Then carefully but vigorously shake the tofu and pour into the pan. It will splatter furiously, so be careful. Stir and allow to thicken for 1-2 minutes and serve.
Meal 2: Grilled Beef Koftas or Grilled Kale Stuffed with White Beans, Couscous, Romaine and Frissee Salad
· Vegetarian: Microwave briefly then bake the dish at 325° for about 20 minutes to heat through.
· Omnivore: Preheat the oven to 425°. If they are crowded in the dish for transport, transfer to a baking sheet. Bake for 7-10 minutes or until just sizzling.
· Heat a little butter or oil in a nonstick pan. When hot, add the couscous and toss to coat and heat evenly. A lid will speed the process.
· Dress the salad.