'French It Up' and Latke Kit
Meal 1: Potato and Cabbage Stew w. Lardon, French Lentils, Semolina Loaves
· Remove the potatoes from their bag. Reserve the lardon.
· Heat a little butter or bacon fat in a saucepan/ stockpot. When hot add the potatoes. Allow them to brown about 2 minutes before stirring or shaking or turning them. Turn to brown other sides. Add the lardon (omnivores). Stir 1 minute. Add the stew and allow to come to a simmer. Serve.
· Warm the bread.
· Heat the lentils and serve on the side.
Meal 2: Latkes, Cannelini Bean Pan Roast, Mixed Greens Salad
· Heat the beans in a sauté pan with a little olive oil over medium.
· Turn the latke mix out into a mixing bowl. Season liberally with salt. Mix well. Taste some batter to be sure your salted it correctly. You should taste the raw potato with a nice salt finish. Remember though - you can always add but never take away with seasoning. Add a pinch of flour if needed to bind the batter and counteract wateriness. It may not be necessary. Also, ignore any odd grey browning in or on the batter - this is just oxidization.
· Add oil to a large sauté pan. You should definitely cover the bottom of the pan. Heat over medium. When hot - just about smoking- add dollops of the batter to the oil. Flatten them and fry 2-3 minutes to brown well. Adjust the heat as necessary. Turn the latkes and cook the other side. Transfer to a cookie rack to drain and keep warm in the oven at 250° to keep warm if you are working in batches. Plan on 3 latkes per person.
· Dress the salad.